How to experience Cherry Blossoms in Japan in 2020
Japan’s Cherry Blossom season is legendary – pastel pink hues take over the country, adding a pop of colour to an already vibrant land. Here’s all you need to know to experience Japan over the Sakura season in 2020.
When to travel: Late March to Late April. The first blossoms vary by region, so it is necessary to plan your travel dates accordingly. Aim to create an itinerary that visits the best Cherry Blossom viewing spots right as the first blooms reach their peak.
Duration: We recommended at least 10 days to maximize your chance of viewing the blossoms
Our Destination Experts have crafted the perfect journey to follow Cherry Blossoms in Japan in 2020. See the highlights below:
Places to Visit
1. Tokyo: The historic city features some of the best spots in the country for cherry blossom viewings, such as Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, Sumida Park and Chidorigafuchi.
2. Nikko: The sanctuary is home to stunning shrines from the Edo period and offers an intriguing mix of historic allure and natural beauty.
3. Hakone: Stunning views of Mt Fuji, crystal-clear waters of Lake Ashi and the picturesque Five Lakes are just some of the beautiful sights we will capture in this area.
4. Oshino Hakkai: A set of spring water ponds fed by the melting snow of nearby Mt Fuji and considered sacred by the locals.
5. Hiroshima: Visit the poignant Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, also popular for its hanamis – a tradition where people get together for cherry blossom viewing and picnic.
6. Miyajima: Take a ferry to this little, ancient island of pristine natural beauty that becomes even more stunning during the Sakura season.
7. Kyoto & Nara: Stroll through the Nara Park, home to over 1700 cherry trees and the world-famous Todaiji shrine and experience the Zen beauty of Kyoto’s bamboo woods.
8. Osaka: Visit the Osaka Castle and Nishinomaru Garden for a dose of history surrounded by Sakura magic!
Things to Do
After you have feasted your eyes on all the hues of pastel pink, try these Signature Experiences to enhance your immersion in this ancient land.
1. Tokyo: Take a boat ride on the stunning Chidorigafuchi moat, with hundreds of cherry blossom trees reflecting in the water, making for a surreal setting.
2. Nikko: Ride an elevator down 100 meters to the base of the Kegon Waterfall for the most impressive views of the cascading waters.
3. Hakone: Take a spa day in Yunessen, soaking in one of their 23 unique thermal baths, from hot spring caves to wine soaks and more.
4. Kyoto: Enjoy a traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony at the birthplace of this calming ritual – Kyoto.
5. Osaka: Take a ride on one of the largest Ferris wheels in the world – Tempozan Ferris Wheel – for a bird’s eye view of the city covered in cherry blooms.
*All images shown are for illustration purposes only.